IRS Form 1023 checklist for nonprofit organization
Follow the Form 1023 Checklist provide by the IRS. Make sure not to staple your check to anything, use a paper clip if needed. Organize all your documents and mark every document with a sticky note. Before sending out your package, make sure you have a copy of everything, and hope for the best. The check list looks something like the following:
Assemble the application and materials in this order:
- Form 1023 Checklist
- Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (if filing)
- Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization (if filing)
- Expedite request (if requesting)
- Application (Form 1023 and Schedules A through H, as required)
- Articles of organization
- Amendments to articles of organization in chronological order
- Bylaws or other rules of operation and amendments
- Documentation of nondiscriminatory policy for schools, as required by Schedule B
- Form 5768, Election/Revocation of Election by an Eligible Section 501(c)(3) Organization To Make Expenditures To Influence Legislation (if filing)
- All other attachments, including explanations, financial data, and printed materials or publications. Label each page with name and EIN.
- User fee payment placed in envelope on top of checklist. DO NOT STAPLE or otherwise attach your check or money order to your application. Instead, just place it in the envelope.