IRS Form 1023 checklist for nonprofit organization
I know that filling out the Form 1023 and preparing your organizational documents was a long process, trust me, I do it every day, but fight the urge of sending your application right away. I guarantee you that you have many mistakes in it, so sleep on it for a few days and give it one last review. Compare your Form 1023 with your Form 1023 attachment to make sure that you are not missing any answers. When you are absolutely sure that you’ve done your best, follow the Form 1023 Checklist provide by the IRS with your application. Make sure not to staple your check to anything, use a paper clip if needed. Organize all your documents and mark every document with a sticky note. Before sending out your package, make sure you have a copy of everything, and hope for the best.
The check list looks something like the following:
Assemble the application and materials in this order:
- Form 1023 Checklist
- Form 2848, Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative (if filing)
- Form 8821, Tax Information Authorization (if filing)
- Expedite request (if requesting)
- Application (Form 1023 and Schedules A through H, as required)
- Articles of organization
- Amendments to articles of organization in chronological order
- Bylaws or other rules of operation and amendments
- Documentation of nondiscriminatory policy for schools, as required by Schedule B
- Form 5768, Election/Revocation of Election by an Eligible Section 501(c)(3) Organization To Make Expenditures To Influence Legislation (if filing)
- All other attachments, including explanations, financial data, and printed materials or publications. Label each page with name and EIN.
- User fee payment placed in envelope on top of checklist. DO NOT STAPLE or otherwise attach your check or money order to your application. Instead, just place it in the envelope.
If you need me to review your documents to make sure everything is correct please see the Application Review Page.
Best of luck to you and don’t forget to leave a feedback and ask any questions you may have.
NOTE: If you’d like to receive the six major documents, (Articles of Incorporation, Nonprofit Bylaws, and Conflict of Interest Policy, Form 1023 Attachment, Expedite Letter Sample, and Donor Contribution Form) in Microsoft Word Document format, please consider making a donation and you’ll get to download them immedietly. This will save you weeks of copy pasting and formatting as they are ready to go templates which only need changing names and addresses.